Personnel Advisory Board
Risk Management Home
City of Oak Ridge Home
Current City Job Openings
You can receive an application by walk-in, email, or write to the Personnel Department, City of Oak Ridge, Municipal Building, P.O. Box 1, 200 S. Tulane Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37831-0001, or telephone the office at (865) 425-3564. The Personnel Department email address is:
. You may also click
to download a copy of our application. Your application will be accepted at any time by mail,
, or during regular office hours, 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Resumes may be forwarded to the Personnel Department at the above address. You need only one application to be considered for all vacant jobs that you qualify for. You must fill out the application form completely, and all statements on the form are subject to verification.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RECRUITMENT FOR POLICE OFFICER AND TRAINEE POSITIONS
The City of Oak Ridge is recruiting for Police Officer and Police Officer Trainee applicants to fill current vacancies and future openings.
Police Officer Trainee Police Officer
: 16 and 17
$ 32,011 per year ($15.39 p/hr) / $ 33,571.20 per year ($16.14 p/hr)
1. Be a United States citizen
2. Be at least 21 years of age
3. Possess excellent moral character for carrying out law enforcement duties
4. Be free of a criminal conviction record
5. Possess a valid driver’s license (if applicant lives out-of-state, he/she must be able to obtain Tennessee Driver’s License 30 days after employment)
6. Be of proportionate height and weight
7. Ability to pass (a) police officer selection test, (b) physical ability test, (c) panel interview, (d) background investigation, (e) psychological examination, (f) medical examination, (g) drug screening, and (h) interview with Chief of Police
8. Must have a High School diploma or GED and one of the following:
a. Have successfully completed at least 60 semester hours of college credit with coursework in any subject matter. Credits from any accredited college or university will be accepted; or
b. Have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, including the Organized Reserves and National Guard, for at least two years on active duty and, if separated from the military, have received an honorable discharge; or
c. Have served at least three (3) years in a full-duty status with a full-service law enforcement agency in a municipality, county, or state within the United States, and be currently employed, have resigned, or be retired in good standing.
Applicants meeting ALL of the mandatory qualifications above are eligible to take the written test that will be given on
Thursday, May 25, 2017
in the Shep Lauter Room (Gymnasium) in the Recreation Building at the Civic Center Complex on the Oak Ridge Turnpike across from the Oak Ridge High School. Applicants will be admitted at 8:30 a.m. and the written test will begin at 9:00 a.m. and should take about two hours.
Immediately following the written test, applicants will be given a physical agility test in the Performing Arts Pavilion near Bissell Park, adjacent to the written test site. Therefore, applicants should wear or bring loose fitting exercise clothes and shoes suitable for running.
Other selection steps for some applicants may include an oral interview, a psychological evaluation, background investigation, drug screening, and medical evaluation.
Individuals who desire to participate in the selection process by taking the written and physical agility tests must have a completed application on file in the Personnel Department by
12:00 noon on Thursday, May 11, 2017.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply and prior law enforcement experience is preferred.
SUMMER RECREATION POSITIONS
Recreation Leaders and Lifeguards
The City of Oak Ridge is accepting applications for Summer Camp and Swimming Pool positions for 2017. All applicants must be at least age 16 and certified to apply for lifeguard positions and must be at least age 18 and one year of college to apply for summer camp positions. The minimum salary will be at least $8.99 for lifeguards and $8.16 per hour for recreation leaders. All applicants are subject to drug screening, background investigation and driver license check. Applications are available in the Personnel Department in the Municipal Building, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or online at www.oakridgetn.gov. Applications received by Friday, March 10, 2017 will be reviewed and considered for summer openings before those received after that date.
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD (vacancy due to resignation)
: $ 10.00 per hour before deductions for
Social Security and FIT
DESIRABLE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. UTK, KC, PSTCC or RSCC student, part-time Schools employee, retiree, homemaker or other individuals with flexibility in arranging their personal schedules.
2. Must be able to work 10 hours per week – Mornings 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Monday thru Friday; Afternoons 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. except Wednesdays when hours are 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
3. Must be at least age 18.
4. Must be in good physical condition since position involves working in all types of weather conditions.
5. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with children and the general public.
6. Applicants are subject to background investigation and drug screening.
If interested in this type of employment, please place an application on file with the Personnel Department.
Electric Line Technician (Lineman) – Vacancy due to retirement
25 – Starting Salary $24.86 - $28.23 per hour depending on qualifications
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
1. High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
2. Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
3. Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
4. Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity which permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of life threatening sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
5. The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks and trenchers.
6. The ability to work safely close to energized high voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
7. The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers and the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
8. Must pass medical evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Individuals interested in this position must file an employment application/resume on file with the Personnel Department.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
INCLUDING THE DISABLED